A migraine is a severe, pounding headache so intense and overwhelming that it can be debilitating. Though migraines can affect the entire head, they usually begin on one side (hence the name migraine, from the Greek word hemicrania, meaning “half the skull”). In some cases, a migraine is preceded by a series of early warning signs, known collectively as an aura. These visual disturbances may include flashing lights, wavy lines, blind spots, or even a temporary loss of peripheral vision.
- MAGNESIUM AND CALCIUM help to maintain healthy blood vessels; they should be taken long term by anyone who gets migraines.
- 5-HTP (5-HYDROXYTRYPTOPHAN), an amino acid derivative, helps boost serotonin levels in the brain, and has been found to prevent migraines as effectively as some prescription medications. You may need to take 5-HTP daily over several months for maximum benefit. Use with caution when taking certain antidepressants, called SSRI drugs.
- FEVERFEW, one of the most popular migraine remedies, has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. You may need to take feverfew daily over several months for maximum benefit.
- WHITE WILLOW BARK (COMBINED WITH FEVERFEW) is used for extra pain relief. White willow contains salicyn, the same pain reliever in aspirin, but does not cause stomach upset. It’s an effective pain reliever that’s been nicknamed “nature’s aspirin.” Don’t combine with aspirin or aspirin like medications, or anti-inflammatory drugs.
- VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN) may provide significant relief for people who have four or more attacks per month.