Allergen Friendly Mac’N’Cheese
Get a mouthful of this amazing, dairy-free Mac and Cheese recipe!
8 oz. dried gluten free elbow noodles (available in Pasta)
2 cups béchamel sauce (*see recipe below)
½ cup roasted butternut squash puree (**see directions below) or canned pumpkin puree (available in Canned Goods)
¼ tsp. turmeric powder (available in Bulk Spices)
¼ tsp. smoky paprika (available in Bulk Spices)
1 tsp. onion powder (available in Bulk Spices)
1 tsp. garlic powder (available in Bulk Spices)
1 tsp. salt (available in Bulk)
3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (available in Bulk)
2 cup cheese or alternative cheese (in Refrigerated sect.)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cool water, set aside.
- Prepare your Béchamel Sauce (recipe below). Stir in the roasted butternut squash puree or the pumpkin puree. Add all remaining ingredients, except 1 cup of the cheese.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the cheese sauce into the pasta and pour into a greased oven safe baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese shreds and cover with foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pasta is heated through and the cheese is melted.
**To roast a butternut squash, cut the top stem end off then cut through the middle of the squash lengthwise. Drizzle cut side with olive oil and place cut side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast at 400˚F for 30 minutes until very soft. Scoop out seeds and discard. Scoop out remaining flesh of the squash
*Béchamel Sauce Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance butter substitute (Refrigerated sect.)
4 Tbsp. All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Mix (Baking section)
2½-3 cups unsweetened, plain rice milk (Alt. Milk section)
½ tsp. salt (available in Bulk)
*Béchamel Sauce Directions:
- Melt the allergy-friendly butter in a medium saucepan.
- Sprinkle in the Enjoy Life All-Purpose Flour Mix and whisk together for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle in 2½ cups of the rice milk and continue whisking over medium heat until sauce is thickened.
Leave a Comment