Homeopathic remedies are a system of medicine based on three simple principles:
- Like cures Like: For example, if the symptoms of your cold are similar to poisoning by mercury, then mercury would be your homeopathic remedy.
- Minimal Dose: The remedy is taken in an extremely dilute form; normally one part of the remedy to around 1,000,000,000,000 parts of water.
- The Single Remedy: No matter how many symptoms are experienced, only one remedy is taken and that remedy will be aimed at all those symptoms.
Similar principals form the basis of conventional Flu vaccines, where the flu virus is given in a small dose and in vaccines where an impotent form of the virus is given to bolster the immune system against that particular virus.
Homeopathy is a therapeutic system of health care developed in Germany by Samuel Hahnemann almost 200 years ago based upon “the law of similars” or similia similibus curantur, “let likes be cured by likes.”
Translated, this means that if a large quantity of a substance is administered, it will produce specific symptoms in a healthy individual, and yet when the same substance is greatly diluted and given in minute doses, it will stimulate the body’s natural healing ability and relieve the very same symptoms.
To illustrate: nux vomica or “poison nut” will cause vomiting and stomach distress taken in large amounts, but will provide relief from these symptoms when administered in minute homeopathic dosages. There are no known side effects of homeopathic remedies when used in these dosages.
- Homeopathic medicines, taken under the supervision of trained professionals, are considered safe and unlikely to cause adverse reactions.
- Some patients report feeling worse for a brief period of time after starting homeopathic remedies. Homeopaths interpret this as the body temporarily stimulating symptoms while it makes an effort to restore health.
- Liquid homeopathic remedies can contain alcohol and are permitted to have higher levels of alcohol than conventional drugs for adults. This may be of concern to some consumers. However, no adverse effects from the alcohol levels have been reported either to the FDA or in the scientific literature.
- Homeopathic remedies are not known to interfere with conventional drugs; however, if a customer is considering using homeopathic remedies, they should discuss it with their health care provider.
As with all medicinal products, a person taking a homeopathic remedy is best advised to:
- Contact a health care provider if the symptoms continue unimproved for more than 5 days.
- Keep the remedy out of the reach of children.
- Consult a health care provider before using the product if pregnant or nursing.
Homeopathic remedies are made from substances diluted thousands of times in water or alcohol. Between each dilution, the liquid is shaken vigorously. For example, a one-to-one-hundred dilution means that one drop of a plant extract is placed in 99 drops of water or alcohol. After lengthy shaking, one drop of the new solution is mixed with another 99 drops of water. This mixture is shaken vigorously, and then one drop is taken from it and added to another 99 drops of liquid, and so on. This process is repeated as many as 30, 50, or more times.
Many new to homeopathy mistake potency or dilution with strength. There is actually no correlation between potency and the strength of a homeopathic medicine. A homeopathic medicine at 30C potency is not stronger than the same medicine at 6C or 3C. The difference is in their action. While a 6C potency is better suited for a local symptom, a 30C or higher potency is more appropriate for general conditions such as allergy, stress or sleep disorders.
Homeopathic medicine potency in the U.S.A. is described by a two part number and letter designation. You will see the potencies referred to as, 12X, 6C, 30C, 10M or 6LM. The number part indicates the number of times the source substance has been homeopathically diluted. The Letter portion indicates the dilution rate. X being the Roman numeral 10, is the slowest dilution rate of 1/10 and LM is the fastest dilution rate of 1/50,000.
X= 1/10 Dilution Rate C=1/100 Dilution Rate M= 1/1000 Dilution Rate
LM= 1/50,000 Dilution Rate
The end result can be a solution more diluted than one molecule of salt placed in an ocean. A molecule is the smallest possible amount of any substance. Most homeopathic remedies contain less than one molecule of the original plant or chemical extract.
Common remedies and uses
|Allium cepa||Itching eyes, Allergies, Hay fever|
|Arnica Montana||Muscle/Joint Aches, Bruising, Backache|
|Arsenicum album||Colds/Flu, Diarrhea, Food Poisoning|
|Calcarea Fluorica (Calc Fluor)||Restoring elasticity, Hemorrhoid, Chapped Skin|
|Calcarea phosphoricum (Calc Phos)||Sore Throat, Fatigue, Growing Pains|
|Calcarea sulphuricum (Calc Sulph)||Blood Purifier, Yellow Discharge In Body|
|Ferrum Phosphoricum (Ferrum Phos)||Hemmorages, Nosebleeds|
|Ignatia amara||Anxiety, Grief|
|Kali muriaticum (Kali Mur)||Colds, Acute Inflammation|
|Kali phosphoricum (Kali Phos)||Nerve Pain, Stress or Nervousness|
|Kali sulphuricum (Kali Sulph)||Skin Ailments, Cold/Cough|
|Magnesium phosphoricum (Mag Phos)||Spasmodic Conditions, Muscle Cramps|
|Natrum muriaticum (Nat Mur)||Headache, Water Retention|
|Natrum phosphoricum (Nat Phos)||Hyperacidity, Dyspepsia|
|Natrum sulphuricum (Nat Sulph)||Nausea, Vomiting, Sadness, Gas|
|Nux vomica||Nausea, Gas|
|Pulsatilla||Menstrual Problems, Chronic Ailments|
|Rhus toxicodendron (Rhus Tox)||Joint Pain, Fever|
|Silicea||Skin Problems, Brittle Hair and Nails|