This is a progressive degenerative disorder of the brain. Over time, it severely impairs memory and mental functioning.
- Gingko Biloba may help improve memory in some patients by increasing the blood supply to the brain. Its antioxidant properties help keep nerve cells healthy.
- Huperzine Ahas been shown to improve mental functioning and complement the effect of the medicine Tacrine.
- Vinpocetine improves memory and mental functioning.
- Vitamins C, E, carotenoids, coenzyme Q10 are antioxidants that promote nerve-cell health.
- Low levels of Vitamin E have been consistently linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vitamin B complex and extra Vitamin B. Low levels of B vitamins have occasionally been found in patients who have Alzheimer’s disease. Vitamin B12 and folate lower blood levels of homocysteine, elevated levels of which have been noted in Alzheimer’s patients.
- Borage or Evening Primrose Oil, Gotu Kola, and Siberian Ginseng all help improve memory in early stages by fostering better transmission of nerve impulses.
- Gotu Kola may reduce fatigue and depression, as well as stimulate the central nervous system.
- Phosphatidylserine and L-carnitine may help to increase levels of memory-enhancing brain chemicals and improve memory in the early stages of Alzheimer’s.